The Monarch Cocktail
While this cocktail has many variations, the original was created in 2003 by Douglas Ankrah (Creator of Lab and Townhouse bars in London).
- Nose: lemon and mint
- Taste: tangy, very herbal with bright lemon, crisp
- Finish: tangy mint with lingering lemon
- Overall: crisp and refreshing
The Monarch Cocktail – Recipe
- 2oz Gin
- 1.5 Lemon Juice
- 1oz St. Germaine
- 0.25oz Agave Syrup
- Lemon Zest Garnish
Padron Damaso No.12
Named for Jose Padron’s grandfather, Damaso, this is the first mild offering from Padron.
Filler: Nicaraguan, Binder: Nicaraguan, Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut-seed
- Cold Draw: cream, orange, and milk chocolate
- First Third: starts off with major notes of cedar that transform into caramel, grass, coffee, with cream-scented smoke, a fuller mild
- Second Third: mild-medium, the sweet creaminess from the first third continues into the second, with new nutty and pepper flavors
- Final Third: medium bodied, pepper/nut/cream flavors continue with an additional note of soft earth
- Overall: A solid mild-medium cigar with a complexity of flavors uncommon in most connecticut cigars, although that’s to be expected from Padron!
The drink takes some of the fullness out of the cigar, resulting in a true medium stick. The pepper of the cigar and lemon from the drink tame each other, bringing the cream and herbs to the front of the flavor.